Monday, November 5, 2012

The Things We Do

After having a truly rough week, it was time to have some ridiculously good fun. I don't think I have ever had a more entertaining and adventurous weekend in my life. By the close of Sunday, I can honestly say that it really did lighten my mood, as well as all my roommates (It had been hard on all of us and we desperately needed some fun.)

First, I had had a grueling amount of homework on Friday and was so tired that at about 7 pm, I got in the shower to get ready for bed. I had been playing music off my phone while I was in the shower when I got a text message. Looking at my phone I could see my roommate Lara's name at the top of the text message so I grabbed the phone and read what she had sent me. Apparently, some guys in our ward had invited she and I to go Ice Caving with them. I told her I would love to go but I needed to get out of the shower and then we could.

Half an hour later we walked out the door. We were ready to go with our boots, coats, hats, gloves, and flashlights. We hopped into the bed of the truck and drove out to St. Anthony. It was a rough ride out to the caves but it was one of the most amazing things I have experienced up here at school.


Now you are probably wondering what Ice Caving is exactly. Well, there are underground rivers out in St. Anthony just passed the Sand Dunes where there are these huge rocky craters. When it's really cold up here, which is most of the year, the water underneath the rock becomes frozen solid. We tried taking pictures of the caves but with the heat of our bodies combining with the cold ice, it was creating too much perspiration which in turn made the pictures too foggy to really see anything. But, the best way I can describe them is that if you have ever seen Ice Age where they are sliding down the ice, that is exactly how it was. You would be sitting either on your knees or bum, sliding down these tiny spaces. There were even sometimes where you would have to get on your belly or back to slide under the rock.
It was exhilarating and frightening at the same time because it is pitch black and you are having to slide under these tiny spaces between rock and ice but it was the best thing I have experienced. At the end you come to a huge wall of ice and at the bottom the is a sort of ice slide you slide down and then you slide your way back out of the cave. It was truly impressive and I recommend that if you have never gone, you should.


Then Saturday was  just crazy because I woke up at 7:30 am to take an exam and four quizzes and a little more homework that had to be done by 10 am and then Lara and I drove down to Winco in Idaho Falls to get some produce. Then when we came back and Lara did some studying and I did a little bit of laundry and reading during the afternoon. After dinner Lara, Kristina, and I went on our long run of the week and I was so happy, Lara and I were able to finally run 2.01 miles straight through without stopping and it felt so good and Kristina was tearing it up like a beast the whole time, it made me jealous:) Oh and my legs were so sore from ice caving the previous night that I really had to push myself to keep going the last little bit-- but we did it. I am so proud of us!

When we got back we got all squeeky clean and dressed up to have a Girls Night out on the town. We were going to go to Rigby to a Karaoke Bar to sing our little hearts out but before we left we helped our Roommate Carson throw a Surprise Birthday for her boyfriend Chase. And then we were off to Rigby. 

When we got to the karaoke bar though, it had been closed and we were all terribly bummed but don't worry, we had a back up.


We decided to drive back to Rexburg and go to Sammy's Cafe for a dance party. It has just a little thing but not to brag, but we were the life of the party and we even got up on stage and partied it out. My roommate Kayli even body surfed, that lucky girl!


 It was so fun but it ended at 10:45 pm and we definitely were not ready to stop so we drove to the local Applebee's where my roommate Sydni works and got free appetizers because we promised that we would sing to them. It was an extremely fun night and all my roommates were beautiful and their singing was heavenly. And then something strange happened....

I got the courage to sing... a solo.... acapella style-- IN A RESTRAUNT! What? Alyssa sings in front of people? No, but my roommates got me to do it, and I am never doing it again. But I sang "Cups" by Anna Kendrick from the movie Pitch Perfect. I forgot the tune to part of the song but I just kept going and everyone clapped and cheered for me so it made going out of my comfort zone totally worth it. I even had them record it so that I had proof that I did something I normally would never do.


We stayed out past curfew, singing long past every one else had left but the people that worked there, we are so naughty :) but when we got home Lara and I got ready for bed, set our clocks back for Daylight Savings and watched an episode of CW's Supernatural before heading off to bed. 

Sunday was also amazing. I don't think I have had a more inspiring, and uplifting Sunday in my life. The lessons were so powerful and after church I ended up walking up to the temple and praying to my Heavenly Father for a while. In all, my entire weekend was just amazing and there was a lot of fun and a lot of spiritual and it felt so amazing. I loved it.


Oh and did I mention I got a letter? From my missionary Nathan?  Well I did and I was over joyed. His letters always make me feel so happy and this one was really special because he wrote-- In his own words:

"So I just watched conference [....] I just thought I should tell you that IF you decide to go on a mission of your own you better leave as soon as possible because I don't want you gone too long after I get home. I have almost been out 6 months so IF you go you better get on it!"

I don't know about you but I was freaking out! I wish I could leave right now :(

But I hope you liked my really long post today and I will write again soon!

No comments: