Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Greatest Cures


Many times when I am uneasy, distraught, or anxious about something, I always go to my mom for comfort. Her advice is always, "Drink a cup of tea, it always helps."

So, as you might have guessed, I was having one of those days today because I moved back up to Idaho for my last semester of school before my mission and I honestly wasn't having a very good attitude about it (oops! a work in progress...). So as you can see I wasn't exactly close to home when I could run to my mom for help, seeing as we are in different states now. Since I couldn't go talk to my mom face to face, we talked on the phone and as always her advice was the same. It gave me an idea. Sometimes we all need a little extra comfort when life throws us in the middle of a storm and I thought I would share with you my top five ways of finding comfort wether you are home or far, far away.

1. Tea
Like my mom says, a cup of tea really does help. It is warm, soothing, and brings peace. I usually do quite a bit of deep pondering while drinking tea. It is almost like a cleanse for the soul. Take the time to "restart" and put yourself back together.

2. Food
This doesn't mean eat your feelings away, your waistline will expand and we don't want that. I mean eat a snack or a meal depending on the time of day. Many times I will have anxiety attacks because I haven't eaten in awhile. Many times I lose track of time and it becomes 7 or 7:30 and I haven't had dinner yet. Pay attention to that. Eat three meals and at least two snacks at pretty equal increments, it will stop you from snacking or having low blood sugar.

3. Sleep
Wether you are sleep deprived or worked to hard to the point of exhaustion, you need to go to bed. Days like today where I have been awake since what felt like the crack of dawn and then traveling and unpacking, it takes a lot out of a person and emotions (like overburdened and crying) come as a "20% battery left" warning. In these cases, just go to bed, you will wake up with a much better feeling.

4. Temple
This one feels like a no brainer to me because I do it on an almost daily schedule. Do baptisms and, if endowed, endowment sessions and such, but also, just take a walk around the property. Sit out side the front doors and gaze up at the beautiful house of the Lord. Take scriptures, a journal, a prayer in your heart. No matter what you do in the presence of the temple with help raise your spirit.

5. Music
Lastly for me is music. It can be very persuasive and meaningful. Most of my music has very deep meanings that are personal to me and my situations. Choose songs that mean a lot to you, that make you feel happy, better, and uplifting and fun. Songs that put you in a very good mood are highly suggested.

*I would have put exercise but that revs me up more than actually lifting my spirit in a much deeper connotation.

No comments: