Saturday, September 1, 2012

Let's Begin! (Day 1)

Today was absolutely fantastic, and for no particular reason. I set out to have a good day, and it just so happens that if you set your mind to it, it becomes your reality. Today was like any other day: wake up, feed Brynlee and Makenna breakfast while the rest of the family attends Shaelie's cross-country meet down in Provo, clean the kitchen, mudroom, living room, play with the girls and then help make lunch. After lunch I went down to my bedroom and started typing up my very own, personal healthy college cookbook. It's exciting, putting this much effort into something like this. It's been awhile since I put this much focus and energy into a project. I feel that it's something very important to me and it's something that I, myself, want to do, for me.

Sometimes life can get crazy, and sometimes, you just lose yourself-- not in a good way. I feel that my freshman year in college was a bit of a losing period. I lost myself this past year and now I am trying to gain not just myself back but a better and fresher me. Someone who has confidence and strength, poise and grace; someone that I would respect and is respectful, understanding and peaceful. Basically, well-rounded and much more like the true Alyssa.

I have done a lot of not-so-smart things in my life but a very good friend of mine has helped me to see that deep down, I had never truly lost myself, I was just covered in mud and needed a deep clean, if you will, into what really matters. So life is tough. But not standing your ground makes it tougher. Why make life harder than needs be?

With school starting next week and packing and moving this week, I have seen the real value of being yourself, and one day you can be the person God made you to be. Life is bigger than our individual problems and if we are able to look past our self tarnishes, we can see the good in ourselves and in the people that surround us everyday. Today is all about loving what you are handed and doing all you can with what you are given.

No comments: